原文如下:
I have just moved to a house in Bridge Street.
我刚刚搬进了大桥街的一所房子。
Yesterday a beggar knocked at my door.
昨天一个乞丐来敲我的门。
He asked me for a meal and a glass of beer.
问我要一顿饭和一杯啤酒。
In return for this, the beggar stood on his head and sang songs.
作为回报,那乞丐头顶地倒立起来,嘴里还唱着歌。
I gave him a meal.
我给了他一顿饭。
He ate the food and drank the beer.
他把食物吃完,又喝了酒。
Then he put a piece of cheese in his pocket and went away.
然后把一块乳酪装进衣袋里走了。
Later a neighbour told me about him.
后来,一位邻居告诉了我他的情况。
Everybody knows him.
大家都认识他。
His name is Percy Buttons.
他叫珀西.巴顿斯。
He calls at every house in the street once a month and always asks for a meal and a glass of beer.
他每月对这条街上的每户人家光顾一次,总是请求给他一顿饭和一杯啤酒。
此文出自《新概念英语第二册第六课》
课文解析:
1、I have just moved to a house in Bridge Street. 我刚刚搬进了大桥街的一所房子。
move常用的意义是“动”、“移动”。在这句话里它的意思是“搬家”、“迁移”,为不及物动词。在表达“搬家”这个意思时move可以单独使用,也可以组成短语move to, move into, move in, move out等。
2、He asked me for a meal and a glass of beer. (他问)我要一顿饭和一杯啤酒。在表示请求时,可以用ask+sb.+for+sth.,也可以直接用ask for。
3、in return for this 作为报答,作为交换。in return可以单独使用,也可以加介词for说明原因。
4、Later a neighbour told me about him. 后来,一位邻居告诉了我他的情况。介词about可以和一些动词连用,以表示“关于……(的)”、“涉及……(的)”。