翻译如下:
The MillionPound BankNote
百万英镑
Act I, Scene 3
第一幕,第3场
It is the summer of 1903.
1903年的夏天。
Two old and wealthy brothers, Roderick and Oliver, have made a bet.
一对年老又富有的兄弟,罗德里克和奥利弗,打了一个赌。
Oliver believes that with a million pound bank note a man could survive a month in London.
奥利弗认为,一个人靠一张百万英镑的钞票在伦敦能活一个月。
His brother Roderick doubts it.
他的兄弟罗德里克对此表示怀疑。
At this moment, they see a penniless young man wandering on the pavement outside their house.
这时,他们看见一个身无分文的年轻人在房子外面的人行道上游荡。
It is Henry Adams,
an American businessman, who is lost in London and does not know what he should do.
他叫亨利·亚当斯,一个美国商人,在伦敦迷了路,不知道该怎么办。
Young man, would you step inside a moment, please?
年轻人,请进来一会儿,好吗?
Who? Me, sir?
先生,你叫谁来呀?是叫我吗?
Yes, you.
是的,就是你。
Through the front door on your left.
从你左侧的前门进来。
(A servant opens a door) Thanks.
(仆人给他打开门)谢谢。
Good morning, sir. Would you please come in?
早上好,先生,请进。
Permit me to lead the way, sir.
先生,请让我来带路吧。
(Henry enters) Thank you, James.
(亨利走进来)谢谢你,詹姆斯。
That will be all.
没你的事了。
How do you do, Mr. ..er...?
你好,先生,你贵姓?
Adams. Henry Adams.
亚当斯,亨利·亚当斯。
Come and sit down, Mr Adams.
来,请坐,亚当斯先生。
Thank you.
谢谢。
You're an American?
你是美国人?
That's right, from San Francisco.
是的,从旧金山来。
How well do you know London?
你对伦敦熟悉吗?
Not at all, it's my first trip here.
一点儿也不熟,这是我第一次来伦敦。
I wonder, Mr Adams, if you'd mind us asking a few questions.
亚当斯先生,不知你是否介意我们问几个问题?
Not at all. Go right ahead.
不介意,请问吧。
May we ask what you're doing in this country and what your plans are?
可不可以问问,你在这个国家干点儿什么?你的计划又是什么呢?
Well, I can't say that I have any plans.
嗯,谈不上有什么计划。
I'm hoping to find work.
我希望能找到工作。
As a matter of fact, I landed in Britain by accident.
事实上,我在英国上岸是偶然的。
How is that possible?
这怎么可能呢?
Well, you see, back home I had my own boat.
嗯,你看,在美国的时候,我有我自己的船。
About a month ago, I was sailing out of the bay...
(his eyes stare at what is left of the brother's dinner on table)
大约一个月前,我开船驶出海湾……(他的眼睛盯着兄弟俩留在餐桌上的残羹剩菜上)。
Well, go on.
往下说呀。
Oh, yes. Well, towards nightfall I found myself carried out to sea by a strong wind.
哦,好的。嗯,傍晚时分我发现我被一阵大风刮到海上去了。
It was all my fault.
这都是我的错。
I didn't know whether I could survive until morning.
我不知道是否能活到早晨。
The next morning I'd just
about given myself up for lost when I was spotted by a ship.
第二天早上,我正感到绝望的时候,一艘海船发现了我。